Thursday, April 26, 2012

Full Term Update

At 37 weeks 4 days, I am now considered full-term. According to my OB, baby girl could now come at any time! It's kind of funny, because I wake up every single morning wondering if I feel any different, searching for signs that labor might be impending. Of course, my daily full body self check usually just tells me "Nope, I feel exactly the same as I did yesterday." Thankfully my doctor doesn't believe in doing internal exams (cervical checks), because I think that would really drive me crazy! I can't imagine knowing I am a couple centimeters dilated and still wake up every day with no contractions, broken water, or lost plug. Anyway, as most of you know I have had problems with my blood pressure this entire pregnancy. Yesterday, my blood pressure spiked crazy high and I had to go into Labor and Delivery at my hospital to get checked. They took a urine sample and drew blood to check for pre-eclampsia. The tests ended up coming back normal (although I had small amounts of protein in my urine--normal for someone with chronic hypertension). After a couple hours, they ended up sending me home. My blood pressure wasn't high enough for any sort of emergency action. I had an appointment with my OB today and she told me that my blood pressure is spiking most likely because the medicines are starting to wear off. After all, I have been on the stuff for almost eight months now! She did tell me, however, that with high blood pressure the placenta starts to deteriorate early and that she doesn't think it's a good idea for me to go any longer than 39 weeks. Although it's nice to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I REALLY don't want to get induced. She did tell me that she would only induce me at 39 weeks if I was at least a little bit dilated though. She said that if your cervix is very high and closed (meaning body is definitely not ready to deliver) that labor turns into a very long and difficult process, and can often lead to a C-section. Of course she doesn't want to go that route, so if by 39 weeks by cervix is still completely closed, I will just have to go into the clinic every other day or so for ultrasounds to make sure that the placenta is still giving baby enough nutrients. I am hoping and praying that I will go into labor naturally before I hit 39 weeks! I have started drinking raspberry leaf tea which is said to strengthen the uterus, making the second stage of labor shorter by making pushes more effective. Today was my second day of drinking three cups a day. The stuff actually tastes pretty good! I also have been sitting/rocking/bouncing on an exercise ball. Apparently it helps the baby engage and encourages dilation, but I sort of doubt that. I am doing it anyway though, just in case. Besides, it helps relieve my back and hip pain! I have yet to experience a single Braxton Hicks contraction. I hope that doesn't mean anything.... On a side note, people's comments have really been cracking me up lately. The other day someone told me "Wow, your baby really has dropped. Her arrival is probably just around the corner." But then today someone told me "Wow, you're carrying so high. Baby will probably hang out in there for a while!" People are so strange... I am trying not to listen to ANYONE!

1 comment:

  1. (Coco Bee here!) I was induced too and did not like it one bit. It was hard and tumultuous, but she is right about the cervix.
    I actually asked for a cervical check at my 36 week appt and I was 3cm, it did bug me though knowing that and wondering EVERY day if it would be today! I read into it way too much lol
    I hope your baby girl comes before 39 weeks!

    ReplyDelete